Monday, May 6, 2013

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Happy post Cinco de Mayo!!!

In honor of Cinco de Mayo I'm sharing with you the cafes Friday soup. We made our soups home made everyday. Not only is soup fairly easy to make, but there is nothing like a home made soup to warm the soul on a rainy, dreary Sunday afternoon.

I found this recipe in a cook book I bought when I took my trip to San Antonio. We took a day trip to Fredericksburg, TX which is a cute little touristy town filled with wonderful shops and restaurants.

My friends and are were walking around town and walked by a bakery. I had a taste for cookies (something I can never pass up) So we walked up to the door. But at 1:30 on a Saturday afternoon they were closed with a sign on the door that read "all sold out". So not giving it much thought, we kept wandered on our way. One of the shops we went to was a quaint little book store where I found this cookbook that the woman who owns the bake shop wrote. The girl that was helping me told me that her Fruit Empanadas recipe was alone worth the book.

Fruit Empanadas? Sold out sign? I had to have this cookbook; so, I bought it!

Now I'm one of those strange people that LOVE to read cookbooks. So guess what I read on my flight home? (OK that was probably an easy one) Her book had all these wonderful recipes and we tried many of her recipes at the cafe. As a mater of fact, my book is all torn up and food stained on most of the recipes we used!

I should buy a new one. But what a wonderful thing to pass down to my daughter or granddaughter. An old stained, highly used cook book!!

This soup would be a wonderful addition to any ones repertoire. Happy Seis de Mayo!

Teri

Notes: We served this with tortilla chips and shredded cheddar cheese on top.
I cook the chicken in water in the oven. You can use the water/broth that comes from this as part of your soup base. If you use this you might have to add some chicken bullion to have more of a chicken flavor.

Ingredients


2 tbls. olive oil
1 medium onion diced
1 red bell pepper diced
6 garlic gloves diced
2 cups of corn
1 tbls minced chipotle pepper in adobe sauce (1 pepper)
2 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. chili powder
3 medium sized chicken breasts cooked and shredded
1 can diced tomatoes
8 cups of chicken broth
Salt & pepper to taste

Instructions

Cook and shred chicken.



In an 8 quart pan, (I used my dutch oven) heat olive oil. Add onions, garlic and red pepper to oil. Saute until onions are translucent. Add cumin, chili powder and chipotle puree to pan and stir.
 
 

Add diced tomatoes and corn and stir; add chicken broth. Stir all ingredients together. Add shredded chicken and cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
 
Serve in bowls and garnish with tortilla chips and shredded cheddar cheese.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment