Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Sangria

Sangria is like a party in your glass!! Oranges, lemons, limes, Rum and of course Wine were invited to this party, but you can invite anything or anyone you like to yours.

I went on a trip through the wine country in northern California and one of my stops was Sonoma, CA   It was fun exploring and sampling the various wine the area had to offer.  At one of the wineries, I had decided to joined a wine club for a year which meant every month I got two new bottles of wine. The only problem was that they kept sending me a very dry red wine which I'm not real fond of. I must have joined the wrong club!

What do you do when you have wine that you're not real fond of, but you don't want to waste it? You make Sangria with it. It will convert that wine into the most delightful drink you could imagine.

I would make this for my husband and I when we would watch the movie Sideways. Have you seen it? I love it. Anyways, every time they would drink a glass of wine in the movie, my husband and I would drink a glass of Sangria. By the end of the movie....well lets just say you're pretty much lovin life and all is good with the world!!

Teri

Notes:
I use a spiced Rum instead of a clear Rum for my Sangria. Captain Morgan's to be exact. It adds a nice flavor, but you could use a clear Rum if you like.

As far as fruit, you could add peaches, strawberries, grapes, mango's...what ever your favorite fruit might be.

You could use a white Wine instead of  Red wine if you prefer. Most of the wines we got were Merlo's and I'm not real fond of Merlot wine so I would make Sangria out of that.

Sangria


2 oranges
2 lemons
2 limes
1 cup of sugar
1 cup of Rum
1 cup of Orange Juice
12 oz of lemon lime soda
1 bottle of wine


Cut up fruit in slices and then in halves; squeeze juice in pitcher and then put fruit in pitcher.







Add sugar and rum.



Mix everything with a spoon smashing the fruit as you stir to let out the juices. Cover pitcher with plastic wrap and let sit overnight in your refrigerator.



Right before you are ready to serve, add entire bottle of wine, Orange Juice and lemon lime soda. Stir
mixture together. (I got a surprise when I opened the bottle of wine. I thought it was red, but it was actually white!! Like I said, you can use any kind of wine.)







Serve in glass over ice.











Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment